TECH & ESMAC Heat Pump Water Heater Education
The TECH & ESMAC (ENERGY STAR Heat Pump Water Heater Manufacturer Action Council) Heat Pump Water Heater Education includes a TECH overview, ENERGY STAR® overview, and a manufacturers heat pump water heater (HPWH) education session focused on technology features and benefits, appropriate applications, energy efficiency comparison to other water heater types, installation techniques and best practices, service support and warranty, proper maintenance, troubleshooting, and selling strategies.
Attending the TECH & ESMAC training is required for upcoming HPWH funds.
• For onboarding purposes, at least one individual from your organization must attend and complete the post-training survey.
• All installers working on a project submitted to the program must also take either this training, or a program approved manufacturer training.
• Key differences between standard gas and electric water heaters and heat pump water heaters
• Benefits and value propositions of HPWHs
• Installation best practices
• Location options, space needs and considerations
• How to size appropriately
• Programming/operating modes
• Time-of-use and demand response capabilities
• Electrical requirements, electric panel considerations
• Condensate management and drainage
• Thermostatic mixing valves, recirculation pumps
• Noise/vibration considerations
• Guidance and best practices for warranty, service support, and maintenance
• Customer education – how to use, what to expect, addressing common concerns
• How to get further regional training and support
• Identify the key difference between standard water heaters and heat pump water heaters
• Explain the features and benefits of heat pump water heaters
• Identify dwelling and customer types that benefit the most from HPWH
• Calculate appropriate tank size based on dwelling and occupancy
• Describe installation best practices
• Describe service and maintenance best practices
• Demonstrate selling techniques and overcoming customer objections